We are totally obsessed with hummus. We could eat it every day and never get bored of it! Especially when you can mix up the flavours so much. This time we’ve gone for lots of fresh green ingredients to make this hummus next level.
Not only is hummus incredibly tasty, it’s also really nutritious – particularly since we’ve added some peas and spinach. Chickpeas are a great source of protein so they’re a great meat substitute for veggies. The fibre in chickpeas also helps lower bad ‘LDL’ cholesterol and triglyceride levels – even more so than other fibre-rich foods. And the metabolism of this fibre results in the production of large amounts of short chain fatty acids which is great for your colon health. The spinach in this dish also means that you’re eating a huge range of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Plus lots of vitamin K which is essential for blood clotting and bone health.
- 1 x 4oog tinned chickpeas
- 2-3 TBSP water
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 30g baby spinach
- 50g peas
- ~15 fresh basil leaves
- 1 TBSP tahini
- ½-1 green chilli (optional – exclude if you don’t like spicy food)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sprinkle of salt
*Serve with chopped veggies or rice crackers.
- Rinse the chickpeas under cold running water.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor (you can also use a hand blender) and blend until smooth.
- If you want a runnier consistency add more lemon juice or water.
- We topped this with some fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil, dukkah, pistachios and lemon.