These literally can be made in 5 minutes and are the perfect on the go nutritious snack for when those sugar cravings hit. Cashew butter is so smooth and creamy so it’s a great base for these energy balls. And some fresh zesty orange is amazing with the rich cacao powder.
Like all nuts, cashew nuts are a great source of essential minerals. You’ll get about 1/3 of your magnesium needs from one serving of cashews. Magnesium is a cofactor in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. And it’s vital in keeping your heart rhythm and blood pressure steady. If you don’t get enough magnesium, it puts you at risk of osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Cashew nuts also contain a range of antioxidants, like the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. These are crucial for healthy vision and protect against light damage from UV rays and cataracts. There’s only a little bit of orange zest in this recipe, but it still adds to the nutritional benefits. The antioxidant beta-carotene is responsible for the colour of the orange peel. This protects your body against free radicals which can damage your cells. It also supports your immune system and eye health.
- 200g cashew butter (or peanut butter)
- 2.5 TBSP maple syrup/honey
- 2.5 TBSP cacao powder
- 1 TBSP cacao nibs
- Zest of ½ orange
*Makes 8 balls
- Combine the cashew butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cacao powder and mix well until evenly distributed.
- Add in the cacao nibs and orange zest.
- Then roll the mixture into balls – as big or small as you’d like.
- If you’d like, roll them in cacao powder and top with more orange zest, desiccated coconut and cacao nibs.