Do yourself a favour and try out these spiced cauliflower and carrot fritters. They are not only tasty but are filled with some of the most nutritious ingredients. We love making a big batch as they can be served with a loads of different sides and are perfect for any meal.
Turmeric is packed full of a compound called curcumin which has a range of amazing health benefits. You might have noticed that turmeric drinks and teas are becoming more popular because we’re starting to understand the positive impact it might have on our health. For example, it’s thought to help fight degenerate brain diseases like Alzeimher’s disease. It’s also linked to a reduction in the growth of blood vessels within cancer cells, contributing to the death of these cells. On top of this, it’s also rich in many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds which is good for overall health, particularly chronic diseases. This is why we love to add turmeric to as many dishes as possible! The cauliflower also provides various other antioxidants to our bodies. Some of these have also been linked to fighting cancerous cells, like breast cancer cells and reproductive cancer cells. The cauliflower & carrots are high in fibre which will keep feeling full and control your blood sugar levels.
- ½ head cauliflower
- 2 large carrots
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- juice from ¼ lemon
- 50g buckwheat powder
- fresh ginger (grated finely)
- fresh turmeric (grated finely) or alternatively use ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- sprig fresh coriander (finely chopped)
*We served this with some tahini mixed with curry powder, lemon, water and greek yoghurt / avocado dipped in sumac / feta sprinkled with za’atar.
- Blend the cauliflower in a food processor or grate it by hand. We prefer to use a food processor to help the fritters stick together.
- Grate the carrot and combine with the cauliflower.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients until the mixture sticks together.
- Heat some olive oil on a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Shape the fritters into small patties (2-3 TBSP for each one).
- Add the fritters to the pan and cook for ~2 minutes on each side.
- These are best served immediately.